Absence of law, Afghan Policies and institution to Support Women, searching for an Alternative way
Afghanistan Observatory is a project by Pangea Foundation operating for Development, health care, Women and Children Rights, Human Rights in Afghanistan since 2003.
The project funded by Ministry of foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Italy its length is June up to Nov 2023.
The general Objective of the project is to give a voice to Afghan Women both residents of Afghanistan and the Diaspora, promoting their active role in building an international Dialogue on how to promote peace, security and respect women rights, In absence of regulatory instruments for their protection in Afghanistan. In this way the project will contribute to the promotion and implementation of the WPS agenda.
The project intends to continue this experience of narrating, listening and building networks of women from conflict zones, in particular with a focus on the resistant Afghan diasporas because the condition of their country unjustly risks being forgotten as it already happened in the past.
At the moment in the country there is no national legislation in force on the condition of women in compliance with international treaties of which Afghanistan is a signatory country, such as for example the Convention for the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women (CEDAW) and the same Afghan National Action Plan on 1325.
The project aims to achieve the following specific objectives:
- Encourage the development of proposals for prevention, resolution and reconstruction starting from the situation of women in Afghanistan.
- Offer spaces and support meeting with Afghan women refugees in Europe and those in Afghanistan to develop concrete proposals to be presented to the international community to monitor the condition of women in Afghanistan, to strengthen respect for their rights within the country and to promote their more active role within the diaspora.
- Encourage networking among women of the Afghan diaspora both in Italy and in Europe active in key sectors such as civil society, university and school, the professions, diplomacy, media to strengthen their role in the future of Afghanistan.
- Initiate a watchdog mechanism run by civil society, especially women of the Afghan diaspora, to monitor the situation of women in their country of origin in relation to the DPS agenda, and return a picture to the Italian and international mass media, thus strengthening the voice of the women themselves.
- To enable the Afghan diaspora to develop and communicate proposals and responses to the need of Afghan women in relation to conflict resolution and peace building in respect of human rights in Afghanistan.
- Maintain the attention of the various stakeholders on the condition of women in Afghanistan.